Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Enterprise Integration Patterns & MINI Cooper Clubman


















Aggregator
In the morning, I have to wait for Mark, John and Aaron to arrive, and then we go to work together in my MINI. They arrive in different order, but all of them will come as planned.

Canonical Data Model
I use ODB II device to check MINI's health. Thousands parts send standard ODB II format data to the port.

Channel Purger
Remember how to clear trip computer information?

Claim Check
When we bought the new furniture set. I drove the MINI to U-Haul store and rented a truck.

Command Message
I can press a button to open MINI's barn doors remotely.

Competing Consumers
All of us (John, Mark, Aaron and me) are responsible for MINI's maintance calls. Whoever notices the maintance indicator on dashboard brings the car to dealer.

Composed Message Processor
MINI can be started by pressing "Start" button while holding clutch and break paddle. There are many internal signals to battery, engine, dash board and break system.

Content Enricher
Aaron looked up my MINI registration card. Now he know where I live in additon of I am an MINI owner.

Content Filter
John wants to go to work every day. But to consurve gas, I don't let him take a ride the MINI if he can work from home.

Content-Based Router
Usually we take highway I-75 to go to work. But if Mark didn't have his breakfast, we have to stop at a restaurant called Miss Chick. His girlfriend works there and he can get free breakfast.

Control Bus
MINI is happy to take highway to work. Building highway is expensive, but every car takes advantage afterwards.

Correlation Identifier
John, Aaron and I look a like. My wife checks my finger prints after my MINI arrives home and before dinner.

Datatype Channel
Sometimes just one of us drives MINI to work. Each of us drives different route.

Dead Letter Channel
All of us agree that if we cannot reach our work place for some reason, we will drive to airport parking lot A1.

Detour
Whenever we want to test our MINI for fun, we drive to Hell, MI on our way to work, even though it is in the opposite direction.

Document Message
John's job is to bring his laptop to work and then bring it back. His wife does all work at night and John's co-worker download files from John's laptop and work from there.

Durable Subscriber
Jack is Mark's friend. His house was taken back by bank. He doen't have a home now. We drive MINI to pick up his mail from Post Office and store them in the car. Whenever we know where Jack is, we deliver the mail to him.

Dynamic Router
Sometimes we change our route based on what we heard from WWJ News Radio 950.

Envelope Wrapper
When we drive to work place, four of us are wrapped in the MINI.

Event Messge
Aaron likes basketball game. Whenever he has tickets, he would let us know during our MINI ride. We can make decision whether we want to go, but the game would go on as scheduled anyway.

Even-Driven Consumer
Mark doesn't have free breadfast at his girlfriend's restaurant every day. His girlfriend doesn't call him everyday to check if he would come. Only when Mark stop by with MINI, then his girlfriend would prepare the breakfast for him.

File Transfer
Mark is helping his friend Jack find a job. He takes Jack's resume file on MINI and submits to HR department where he works.

Format Indicator
When I looked Jack's resume that Mark left in MINI, it includes resume version number, his social security number and is written in Microsoft Word format.

Guaranteed Delivery
To make sure that Jack's resume landed on right person's hand, Mark kept the resume in MINI for three days and handed over to HR Director who have just returned from a vacation.

Idempotent Receiver
Mark's girlfriend told him that he can only get one free breakfast each day. If the meal disappears between kitchen and dinning room, Mark won't get another one.

Invalid Message Channel
After purchased the MINI, we've received many junk mail to ask us to purchase MINI accessories. We throw them into a box next to our trash can.

Message Broker
We prefer that all MINI maintance work be informed by MINI dealer.

Message Bus
ODB II device displays information in English; Dealer Text Message displays information in English; MINI dashboard displays information in English.

Message Channel
We use GPS to define our driving route. Once the route is defined, it is saved in GPS and will be used repeatly.

Message Dispatcher
After work, I drive MINI back to Oakland Mall parking lot so that John, Mark and Aaron can get off and drive their cars to go home. Since MINI doesn't have rear doors, the front passenger must get out first, then the rear right passenger, and the rear left passenger.

Message Endpoint
I requires John, Mark and Aaron to give me their work address, so that I can drive them to their work place.

Message Expiration
John's company is downsizing. Any worker who has reached or passed 50 years old birthday will be laid off automatically. John is approaching his 50th birthday, we may lose our MINI ride companion:(

Message Filter
We know John's wife does all the work for John. One day, I asked John if his wife is from India. He was surprised and asked: "Without that, how can you do English And Indian (EAI)?". But that's the only detail he was willing to tell us about his wife.

Message History
MINI has an advanced GPS system. It can record all routes we go through every day.

Message Router
MINI's GPS system has real-time traffic. If we want, we can ask GPS to guide the route.

Message Sequence
Mark has 8 children. Occasionally I helped him transport his family with MINI. We needed total three round trips and I tagged every kid with a number to make sure that I didn't miss any one.

Message Store
To find out more information about John's India wife, we tapped his cell phone so that every text message he sents to his wife, a duplicated copy will be intercepted by a device installed on MINI. We told John that the device can prevent the loss of text messages and he agreed.

Message Translator
When we checked John's message on MINI, we found most messages are written in Hindi. We scrambled to install a Hindi to English translation software. Now we can understand the messages.

Message
You should know it if you know what text message is.

Message Bridge
During our MINI ride, I asked John how can he communicate with his co-worker. He replied: "I text message Hindi back and forth with my wife, and then speak with my colleague in English.

Message Gateway
Even though we take the same ride to work every day, we work in totally different area. I am an Software Architect, Aaron is a senior Java develper, Mark is a graphic designer, John, umm.., I don't know, I call him EAI integrator.

Messaging Mapper
My wife and I love to drive our MINI to IKEA in Canton MI. We find the big object we like, the store staff helps us dis-assemble it and puts it into a compact box, then we use our MINI to haul the stuff back home. It is my duty to re-assemble it back.

Messaging
Think about the languages we read and speak. Including MINI dashboard information.

Normalizer
MINI's GPS can recognize different languages. It replies back only in English though. The GPS itself stores just one set of data. It uses the language translator to translate incoming voice.

Pipes and Filters
Look it up under the MINI, you will under immediately.

Point-to-Point Channel
Without Hindi to English translator, sitting in MINI, only John can understand his wife's messae.

Polling Consumer
Every hour, John asks his Indian wife if she had made any progress.

Process Manager
At one time, Mark, Aaron and I worked on one project. To avoid direct confrontations, we asked John to be a moderator. He makes decision to assign tasks based on the benefit of the project.

Publish-Subscribe Channel
Aaron and I receive text message from WSJ on our smart phones because we both subscribed to wsj.com

Recipient List
Only Mark, Aaron and I can see the text messages between John and his wife.

Remote Procedure Invocation
When I was buy MINI, I called my dealere to find out details on cars.

Request-Reply
Phone conversation in MINI.

Resequencer
My MINI dealer told me a list of cars ordered by price, but I asked him to provide me a list ordered by make year.

Return Address
My MINI dealer knows my every call to him even though I didn't leave message. He had my caller ID stored.

Routing Slip
Every time we swipe our card at work, the ID and time stamp is recorded. In order to get paid, we must swipe-in in the morning, and swipe-out in the afternoon.

Scatter-Gather
When We were buying MINI, I asked several dealers to give me the quote, then I put their quotes together and presented to my wife the best deal.

Selective Consumer
When I was buying my MINI, my dealer had sent me all inventory, but I was only interested in lighting blue MINI Cooper Clubman.

Service Activator
When I drop my MINI at dealership for service, I don't need to tell them what to do. The service manager will check the information on dashboard and let technician do the work accordingly.

Shared Database
No matter which MINI dealer I went, they all had my MINI's service history.

Smart Proxy
If Mark, John, Aaron wants to borrow my MINI, I always ask them to pick-up and drop-off the car in Oakland parking lot. None of them knows where I live.

Splitter
When Mark got his free breakfast from Miss Chick restaurant during our MINI ride, we divided it into 4 and each of us had a portion.

Test Message
Every morning at 3AM, I starts my MINI, check dashboard information to make sure that I can run it without problem in the morning.

Transactional Client
Conversation between any two of us in the MINI.

Wire Tap
When another person is driving, I check the GPS display to make sure the direction is right.

No comments:

Post a Comment